Monday, September 26, 2011

~ a crooked ripple ~

~ this picture shows how the pattern is written ~




Materials:
- 4-ply worsted weight acrylic (I'm using Red Heart Super Saver)
- J hook

Size:  the pattern for this blanket is written for it to be 40" wide - The length of the blanket depends on how long you would want 
your blanket to be - just keep crocheting until you have it as long as
 you want it. The way I have the blanket pictured above, it 
measures 23" wide x 40" tall. :)

Directions:
Row 1:  Ch 158, dc in the 4th ch from hook.  Dc in next 5 chs.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch.  Dc in next 7 chs.  Skip next 2 chs.  Dc in next 11 chs.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch.  Dc in next 11 chs.  Skip next 2 chs.  Dc in next 20 chs.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch.  Dc in next 20 chs.  Skip next 2 chs.  Dc in next 7 chs.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch.  Dc in next 7 chs.  Skip next 2 chs.  Dc in next 7 chs.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch.  Dc in next 7 chs.  Skip next 2 chs.  Dc in next 18 chs.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch.  Dc in next 18 chs.  Turn.

Row 2:  Sl st into next dc, ch 3.  Dc in next 17 dc.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 space.  Dc in next 18 dc.  Skip next 2 dc.  Dc in next 7 dc.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 space.  Dc in next 7 dc.  Skip next 2 dc.  Dc in next 7 dc.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 space.  Dc in next 7 dc.  Skip next 2 dc.  Dc in next 20 dc.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 space.  Dc in next 20 dc.  Skip next 2 dc.  Dc in next 11 dc.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 space.  Dc in next 11 dc.  Skip next 2 dc.  Dc in next 7 dc.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 space.  Dc in next 7 dc.  Turn.

Row 3:  Sl st into next dc, ch 3.  Dc in next 6 dc.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 space.  Dc in next 7 dc.  Skip next 2 dc.  Dc in next 11 dc.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 space.  Dc in next 11 dc.  Skip next 2 dc.  Dc in next 20 dc.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 space.  Dc in next 20 dc.  Skip next 2 dc.  Dc in next 7 dc.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 space.  Dc in next 7 dc.  Skip next 2 dc.  Dc in next 7 dc.  (dc, sh 2, dc) in next ch-2 space.  Dc in next 7 dc.  Skip next 2 dc.  Dc in next 18 dc.  (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 space.  Dc in next 18 dc.  Turn.

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until desired length.

***Debi Y's pattern***

Print Friendly and PDF

33 comments:

  1. Interesting! I am curious how it looks when it gets bigger. I started a ordinary ripple on friday and I'm enjoying every row of it. Mine is 63 inch wide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I'd have never thought of that -- you are SOOOOO creative. I can always rely on you for inspiration, Debi. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gonna be AWESOME! I have never ever seen a crooked ripple blankie :) I am so pumped to see some progress on it. Where'd you get the idea??? I am still too nervous to try out my first ripple. I bought a book with some easy patterns, but I havent used it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this - what a great idea to make a crooked ripple. I'm so interesting in seeing how it looks as it progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies. :)

    BumbleBri - I saw a chart on the news about some company's earnings. The line went up and down like a ripple, but not even. I thought it would be interesting to try it in crochet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting!! I never would have thought.......Can't wait to see more:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I tend to use the same ripple pattern over and over again - this is a great twist! I'll definitely be trying soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea Debi, looking forward to seeing how it progresses. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never done a regular ripple but have a feeling that without even trying, mine would come out crooked. Ha! You are always coming up with something new. Have fun. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea, you are one clever lady. I can't wait to see more. Colours are great. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debi ... I LOVE this ... what a great idea, thanks for posting. I'm trying to finish my Christmas afghan but this may get inthe way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Debi,
    can' t wait to see more of this...
    Love your new "Ripple" so much!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this pattern!!!
    Send you many, many Greetings
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it, but wonder how is it staying flat and not rippling all up? As much as I crochet and I still haven't grasped the math concept of it. And I've always been good in math. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks ladies. :)

    Hookin It With Mr. Lick Lick - it doesn't ripple because there is the same number of dc's in each row. By skipping the 2 dc's at the low points, it cancels out the 2 dc's that are added at the high points, so we are left with the same number of dc's on the straight sides.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this! You are trying really hard to suck me into crochet, aren't you! I must resist, I have to finish my knitting...but I do plan on making this one day. It's really lovely. Thanks for sharing the pattern. I can't wait to see your progress. :)

    Blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing the inspiration and the pattern. Maybe some day also I have the time and inspiration... The pattern is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is awesome!! I'm going to have to start a ripple like this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hoola!! me encanta este patrĂ³n, gracias por compartirlo,yo estoy haciendo una manta de ondas, pero estas tan originales nunca las habia visto
    me gusta su blog mucho!
    un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  19. the chart of a company's earnings as inspiration for a baby blanket, that's great!! :)

    I love the way it looks so far!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made this type of afghan years ago and lost the pattern; so happy to find it again. I still have it and it's still very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This afghan is too cute, going to have to try it. Always like something different.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been crocheting for forty years, and ripples are one of my favorite afghan patterns. With two coworkers about to have babies this spring, this will be a fun one to use for the little ones soon to be born. This will be fun to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Debi,
    This is the first time I have ever been to your website for some reason. I browse all the time, and found you through "All Free Crochet". (And so happy to have found you) {:0)
    I do have a question for you though, and that is, if the width is 40 inches, what would the finished length be?
    Thank you so much for sharing your brilliant Crooked Ripple. I love it. {:0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm glad that you enjoy my blog. The length of the blanket depends on how long you would want your blanket to be - just keep crocheting until you have it as long as you want it. The way I have the blanket pictured above, it measures 23" wide x 40" tall. :)

      Delete
  24. Love this but would want it bigger. Do you have instructions for making it about 65x75? Just need to know multiples of clusters. Awesome pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - to make the crooked ripple wider, just add extra chains. The ripple points are different sizes so you can add however many you need. And of course, to make it longer, just keep crocheting until you get the length you need. :)

      Delete
  25. I have tryed this so many time when i get to the second row when I get to the 7 double crochet I always end up with 6 and not seven I dont know what I`m doing wrong.All my others end up right.Please tell me what I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why you're getting 6 instead of 7, but it's ok - you don't have to have the 7 dc, just keep it at 6 dc. It's a crooked ripple so it's not really necessary. :)

      Delete
    2. ***not really necessary to have the same amount of dc's.

      Delete
  26. I just finished my third crooked ripple afghan, love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  27. good morning young lady, my name is glendora. i'm 62 and i need your help. i was given some yarn a few yrs. ago. the person don't remember where she got it from and i was wondering if you know of a store where i could send the yarn to and they would me find out. like a yarn supply store.
    thank you. glendora.walker@dc.gov

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Can you tell me about the yarn? Maybe I can help. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)