Thursday, September 8, 2011

~ cupcake (?) bottle cozy ~

I asked my husband and my son what they thought this bottle cozy looked like.  My husband said "I -- don't -- know"  --  my son said "umm -- a cupcake?".  I'm not too sure myself.  It's supposed to look like a cupcake.  What do you think?

Materials:
- 4-ply worsted weight yarn - I used acrylic but you can use cotton if you'd like
   - brown (or light gold)
   - pink (or Red Heart Fiesta white)
   - red
- J hook

Size:  fits an 8 oz. bottle

Notes:
- I crochet tight so you may need to adjust the size of your crochet hook
- Ch 2 at beginning of Rnds does not count as a stitch
- beginning PC stitch:  ch 3, 2 dc in same stitch, drop loop from hook, insert hook in top of ch 3 and in 3rd dc, yarn over, pull through
- PC stitch:  3 dc in same stitch, drop loop from hook, insert hook in 1st dc and in 3rd dc, yarn over, pull through

Directions:
Rnd 1:  With brown (or light gold) ch 3, 12 dc in 3rd ch from hook.  Join with a sl st to 1st dc.  (12 dc)

Rnd 2:  Ch 2, 2 dc in each dc around.  Join as before.  (24 dc)

Rnd 3:  Ch 1, 2 sc in same dc.  Sc in next 5 dc.  *2 sc in next dc, sc in next 5 dc.  Repeat from * around.  Join with a sl st to back loop of 1st sc.  

Rnd 4:  Working this Rnd in back loops only, ch 1, sc in each sc around.  Join with a sl st to 1st sc.

Rnd 5:  Ch 2, dc in each sc around.  Join with a sl st to 1st dc.  (28 dc)

Rnds 6 - 8:  Ch 3, front post dc (fp dc) around next dc.  *dc in next dc, fp dc around next dc.  Repeat from * around.  Join as before.  At end of Rnd 8, end off.

Rnd 9:  Join pink (or Red Heart Fiesta white) with a sc in 1st dc.  Sc in each dc and fp dc around.  Join with a sl st to 1st sc.

Rnd 10:  Beginning PC in 1st sc, ch 1, skip next sc.  *PC in next sc, ch 1, skip next sc.  Repeat from * around.  Join with a sl st to 1st PC.

Rnds 11 - 12:  Beginning PC in 1st PC, ch 1.  *PC in next PC, ch 1.  Repeat from * around.  Join as before.  At end of Rnd 12, end off  - or if not using the red then DO NOT END OFF.  Continue on to Rnd 13.

Rnd 13:  Join red (or continue with Red Heart Fiesta white) with a sc in 1st PC.  Sc in each ch 1 space and PC around.  Join with a sl st to 1st sc.  DO NOT END OFF.

For handle:  Ch 1, sc in same sc.  *ch 3, dc in 3rd ch from hook.  Repeat from * until desired length.  Skip next 13 sc on Rnd 13, sc in next sc, sl st in same sc, end off.



For trim:  holding piece upside down, join pink (or Red Heart Fiesta white) with a sc in front loop of any skipped sc on Rnd 10, (dc, sc) in same sc.  (sc, dc, sc) in the front loop of each skipped sc around.  Join with a sl st to 1st sc, end off.  

***Debi Y's version***  
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. Cupcake with a handle! :o) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the cupcake too. Maybe it is the colours? A very clever idea. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its cute! Maybe if the red cherry part was just made pink it would look more cupcake like? Not sure. Still think its fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies.

    K @ Aurora Blythe - I think you may be right. If I make another, I'll leave the red off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cute! I love it. I was thinking it might just be the colour of the red. Maybe more of a darker cherry type red. (The dark red cherries). Well at anyrate, it's great!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable!!! and it DOES clearly look like a cupcake!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)